Thursday, January 14, 2010

Identity is not in your belongings...

I'd like to start off today's post with a quote from the movie "Fight Club". (It was probably in the book too, but I have to admit, I haven't read it yet.)

"You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fucking khakis."

I know when I first heard that, I was like "Yeah!" and then went back to my life of making as much money as I could (even though it made me miserable) and acquired as many things as I could, the more expensive the better. I was fickle, and the reason why I had to keep buying more and more things was because I was trying to fill a void within me with material possesions.

Fast forward to May 2009 and I get brought into my boss's office and informed that due to cutbacks I need to be let go. I was devastated. I hated my job, was completely miserable, but panicked at the loss of money that would be coming in. Now, I'm very fortunate to be living in Canada, and I've been able to receive Employment Insurance which got me through the difficult time. But guess what? It doesn't kick in right away. And do you know what I wasn't doing when I was spending like a madwoman? Saving.

So I had to say farewell to all of my belongings... at least the really valuable ones. My bicycle that hadn't been ridden yet. My beautiful SLR camera that I'd taken with me to exotic (and not so exotic) places. My margarita machine, some furniture, and so on. It was a humbling experience, one I hope to not have to repeat because I think I actually learned the lesson. (Not just about saving, but about what I'm about to say next).

We cannot find true fullfilment outside of ourselves. We are not our jobs, or our belongings. Yes, it's important that we find satisfaction in what we do (this is after all the place we'll be spending a third of our days). Yes, it's important to appreciate what you have, regardless of how opulent or not it is. If we are constantly seeking some kind of validation out of things outside of ourselves (and yes, this does include relationships) then what happens to us when they're gone? Nothing is forever. And I'm not saying to be cynical and view everything as passing. I know too many people who get caught up in what they have or what they do, and if that's taken away from them, well, they cease to exist. If your identity is based on something outside of you - that's exactly what will occur if that outside source is taken away.

This means making a shift in how you value everything from your belongings, to your relationships and your experiences. It's also an opportunity for you to connect your heart with what truly matters. And if your answer to this is "my material things are what truly matters" well, that's just the stage of growth you're in. It is my hope that you'll see things from a bigger perspective soon. :)

Lovingly yours,
Seena Beana

No comments: