Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Power Of Your Words...

We’ve all heard the expression “the power of positive thinking” but have you considered “the power of negative thinking”? We breathe life into the things we think (and say) – think of it… When you’re a young child, scared of the dark because of the shadows you can see in your room, what causes that fear? The thought of something lurking in those shadows, and because we think it, it becomes true to us.

In past posts, I’ve alluded to not having had the easiest life growing up. When I was 17, I was very fortunately (though I didn’t realize it at the time) given the opportunity to start a new life, in a new province, with new parents (my aunt and uncle). After only a few short weeks living there, my uncle gave me a new house rule: no speaking badly about myself. I would frequently say things like “I’m so stupid” and other self deprecating statements, and it was stunting my ability to become a new, happier person in my new environment. I listened to self help tapes (yes TAPES) and for awhile there, I actually was thinking more positively. Other things changed that, but that’s a story for another day…

When I first had the idea to start my jewellery business, I kept saying “I’m trying to start a business” and I’ve been working on changing that wording. By saying “trying” I essentially have a scape goat if I fail… But I don’t want a scape goat! I’ve started saying “I’m starting a business” which is more active, and holds me accountable for my actions. Beware of little scape goats you may use… “thinking” is another one I’m guilty of throwing in to absolve myself if an endeavour doesn’t succeed. Remember: We breathe life into what we think and say. So choose your words wisely – both internal and external words – and make your dreams come true.

Love and Light,

SB

No comments: